The Key to Successfully Implementing Robotic Automation Solutions
Increasing the level of automation in your production facilities is the future. This is the only way to stay competitive and prepare your business for the challenges and opportunities of today as well as those that lie ahead. Implementing automation solutions will also deliver immediate productivity and efficiency gains.
The problem is, when implementing a robotic automation solution, there is no guarantee of success. All projects carry risks and, when they go wrong, they can be costly and time-consuming to put right. Automation projects can also cause regulatory and reputational problems.
In other words, while the benefits are considerable, the stakes are high.
Getting it Right from the Start
There are many factors that will contribute to whether an automation project is successful or not. One of the most important, however, happens at the very outset. In fact, this factor is the key to the successful delivery of a robotic automation project.
Here it is:
You need to work with an automation provider who has a proven track record of delivering innovative automation solutions.
Finding Innovative Solutions to Automation Projects
Automation solutions cannot be squeezed into a one-size-fits-all package that you simply implement on the production room floor. There are too many variables, specification challenges, integration issues, and more for any one-size-fits-all solution to work.
Therefore, every automation solution that has ever been implemented anywhere in the world has required customisation.
True success, however, is where project objectives are achieved and return on investment targets are met. That requires more than customisation – it requires innovation.
This means being open to new ideas while also being aware of the risks and pitfalls. An innovative automation solutions provider will also be creative and will have a team culture that thrives on continuous improvement.
This is particularly important if the requirements of the project are out of the ordinary, such as building in small volume production capabilities or developing a solution for a MedTech device that is at the cutting edge of the industry.
In these situations, an automation company that specialises in developing innovative solutions is the only way forward.
The Characteristics of an Innovative Automation Solutions Provider
- Has experience in a wide range of automation projects.
- Has specific experience in the MedTech sector.
- Understands the regulatory issues involved in MedTech manufacturing, including having full knowledge of both EU and FDA regulations.
- Understands the risks involved when implementing automation solutions. These risks include technological risks, safety risks, security risks, regulatory risks, QA risks, validation risks, and more.
- In addition, the automation company should know how to mitigate the risks above
- The provider should also have a detailed knowledge of the automation and robotic technologies that are available.
- You should also find a provider with the necessary skills to properly implement an automation solution. This includes mechanical design, automation, controls, and validation skills.
- Following on from the last point, having capacity is also important as you don’t want engineers and technicians working on your project to be stretched too thin.
- Your provider should also have a positive, can-do attitude.
Robots, platforms, and systems are only tools. The real key to successfully developing an automation solution that works in your manufacturing facility is to get an automation solutions provider who takes an approach that embraces innovation.
To stay up-to-date with insights and news from the Atlantic MedTech Cluster, please follow us on your preferred social media platform:
Email signup – http://eepurl.com/dF0Y_D
Twitter – https://twitter.com/AtlanticMedTech